Friday, July 24, 2009

Chamomile hair rinse

We spend quite a bit of time outside this summer. We go out most mornings to the park or to the new Meade Park Pool that opened this summer. It is more a mini water park than a pool with plenty of excitement and lots of water splashing everywhere. Since the little guy took the swimming lessons he is really great in the water and has a great time at the new pool. We both got totally splashed with water this morning when we were in range of the big bucket. He definitely is a little water baby.

On to the post. I have revived a method from my teenage days for highlighting my hair. I found the herbal recipe for the hair rinse in a Redbook magazine a long time ago. I put the rinse in a spray bottle and used it to lighten my hair in the sun. Thinking back that was the time when Sun In was all the rage. How funny that it is still around today. Well, I went the thrifty route and made my own herbal blend. I started using it again and it works pretty good. My hair is a lot darker now of course, but it is nice to have a few highlights. Here is the recipe:

Chamomile hair rinse

1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup distilled water
2 tablespoons dried chamomile

Heat the distilled water to boiling and add the dried chamomile. Let it steep for about a half an hour. Strain the liquid and add the lemon juice. Put it in a spray bottle. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I think I am going to try this. Getting my hair done at the salon is way too expensive! Remember when I used to use sun-in??! That stuff really destroyed my hair

Natural Violet said...

Ha-ha. That's right. I am not sure what they put in it, but it is pretty potent stuff. The lemon and chamomile is working pretty good and definitely more gentle on the hair.

VeganCowGirl said...

I had forgotten all about SunIn!!!! I am wishing I had had this recipe when I was killing my teen hair! Happy splashing!

Natural Violet said...

Thanks! I think SunIn has destroyed a lot of teenage hair. I do remember a friend in high school who turned her hair orange using the extra strength version.

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...