Saturday, June 6, 2009

Super diaper


I made a pocket diaper from the recycled fleece and pul fabric. It turned out really nice and was fairly easy to sew. I realized once I got the fabric that I didn't think too much about how the two fabrics would match. I really wanted to get the pul fabric in aqua and I didn't have a lot of color choices for the recycled microfleece so I just went with the brightest option which was the lady bug red. I am happy with the combo though since they look like super hero diapers. In particular I think they look like superman diapers.

Before I started sewing the new diaper I watched an all in one diaper tutorial at Kids in the Garden. It has lots of tips including cutting the tabs separately to use the fabric more efficiently. I tried this with the celtic cloth pattern and was able to get four pul backs out of one fabric width as compared to only three with the full pattern. Very slick and a great way to economize on fabric. I also used the elastic method they suggested and it worked great. The best part though is the music so definitely worth watching if you are sewing diapers. The only problem I ran into with making the diapers was sewing the pul fabric. I used a regular sewing stitch and the seams bunched. I looked for tips online and switched to the stretch stitch. It worked fine after that so problem solved.

I really like the functionality of the new diaper. I have used it a lot this past week and it works great. It has survived the poop test so very good. It also keeps him dry and comfy for a few hours so I am happy I am making the switch. I was a little reluctant at first because I wanted to stay with natural fabrics as much as possible. But on the other hand the microfleece liner does work great and is a breeze a clean the messy stuff. I can also dry the diaper a lot quicker with the separate hemp inserts so great energy wise. So sort of mixed bag environmentally for me, but I think it is going work great for us both. One thing I have learned after being a mom for a year is that being flexible is a good thing.

2 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

Awesome! Once this little vegan bean gets out here and shows me what being a mamma is all about, I will add to my cloth supply via my own craft - thanks to your inspiration!

Natural Violet said...

Thanks!! Very happy to help with the cloth diapering. Very excited for you also. You are going to meet your little guy soon!!

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...