Monday, August 10, 2009

Reusable facial puffs



I typically use a wash cloth for cleaning my face, but thought it would be very nice to have something smaller that was also washable. When I was a graduate student I made my own facial puffs out of old towels and scraps of polar fleece. I was making recycled fleece hats at the time and had a lot of fleece scraps. I was also in the mode of being frugal and reusing as much as possible so from that came the idea for making reusuable cotton balls. I currently have a lot of little scraps of micro fleece left over from making the diapers so perfect for making the puffs. I like using the polar fleece for the inside of the puffs since it doesn't absorb the water and stays fluffy when wet. I dyed an old bath towel using a Procion dye in wedgewood blue. I also dyed a few shirts for the little guy a and a cute little hemp skirt that I will post about soon. I didn't need to dye the towel, but I was doing a dye batch anyway and thought it would be fun to have nicely colored puffs. I use the puffs the same way as I would cotton balls. After I use one, I put it in a bag and then throw them all in the regular laundry load.

Reusable facial puffs

Materials: Scraps of polar fleece and cotton terry cloth. The puffs can be any size or shape. I make mine circular with a 3 inch diameter.

1. Cut two circular pieces of terry cloth. Cut two pieces of micro fleece or one piece of 200 or higher weight polar fleece.


2. Sandwich the layers together with the terry cloth on the outside and the micro fleece on the inside. Sew the layers together using a zig zag or decorative stitch.

4 comments:

Beth Gales said...

Too cute! And practical too!

Natural Violet said...

Thanks!!

sarah g said...

Hi - Just came across your blog while i was looking for info on making reusable makeup removers. i love it. we have a lot in common. I was super excited to see your cloth diapers...so cute!

Natural Violet said...

Hi Sarah - Thanks for visiting. I checked out your blog also and love it!

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...