Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ruffled hemp skirt



I finally made a skirt this summer. I love wearing skirts. They are so comfortable when it gets hot outside. I made this one out of hemp material that I dyed with a Procion dye in wedgewood blue. I didn't use a pattern. I used my own formula to come up with the pattern pieces. I basically wanted an a-line skirt with a ruffle so pretty simple to construct. I actually made the skirt first and then dyed it after. I also threw in a few white t-shirts along with a few old towels that I used to make the reusable facial puffs in the previous post. I forgot how fun it is to dye and a great way to spruce up old towels. I am already planning my next dye adventure.

Ruffle skirt formula

Round measurements to the nearest half inch.

Hip measurement at the widest point + 2 inches divided by 2 = A
Length of skirt desired minus ruffle + 2 inches = B
Length of ruffle + 1 inch = C

Cut two trapezoids that measure A on the top, (A*1/3 + A) on the bottom and B height.
Cut two rectangles that are C height and 2*(A*1/3 + A) length.

Zig zag the edges of all of the pieces. Sew the sides of the skirt together. Make a casing on the top that is 1.5 inches and add elastic for your waist. Sew the sides of the ruffle together and gather to fit the bottom of the skirt. Attach the ruffle to the skirt. Sew the hem.

No comments:

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...