Monday, December 30, 2013

Handmade Christmas wrap up




Christmas was great. It was really fun to sew some of the presents this year. It was also fun to see J so excited for Christmas. He is 5 this year and I think it is the magical year for excitement during the holidays. I stayed up late quite a few nights to finish everything but it was worth all of the effort. Here is a snap shot of our Christmas.


The pattern for the tent is from Growing up Sew Liberated which is a lovely pattern book full of all sorts sewing patterns for creative play. I love everything in the book and the tent pattern was super. It is a really sturdy design and as you can see from the photo above it works for adults also. The main part of the teepee is made out of cotton canvas that I picked up at JoAnns Fabric. The cotton canvas print for the contrast is from Ikea and was used to make the poufs also. The pattern for the floor cushions is from the Living with Punks tutorial. I made the second pouf with a removable cover and I really like the design.






The pattern for the play capes is again from the Growing up Sew Liberated. I made the butterfly one for my 5 year old niece who loves to dress up and play all sorts of wonderful games. The outside is a brocade that I purchased a long time ago at JoAnns Fabric and the inside is a orange cotton knit. I decided to make one for J also and bought a light blue charmeuse for one side and zebra cotton knit print for the other from Fabric.com. In Growing up Sew Liberated she suggests using an animal print for one side. I wasn't sure about making the cape for J since he tends to be more into building than dressing up. He did want me to make him a crown before Christmas so I figured he could use the light blue side to be a king and the other side to be a wild animal. It is took a little bit for him to warm up to the cape but he then wore it on our walk to Riverview Park. He had a great time being ruler of all the lands and then a zebra. I love the photo of him above with his sweet little smile. 




I made Snapazoos to put in J's stocking. The Snapazoo tutorial is on the KAM site along with ideas on how to snap the little critters together.  J's favorite animal was the flying squirrel that he could throw across the house. R like them quite a bit also.



I made blocks for R from scrap quilting fabric. She liked the blocks but I think she actually liked the paper better.


We ended our celebration with a fabulous dinner for Christmas Day. We made smothered seitan with green beans, stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. The recipe links are on our food blog Vegan Scratch.

6 comments:

Night Garden Design said...

Lovely work!

Christina @ The Murrayed Life said...

Mmmm that dinner looks nice, and way to go on all that sewing in a busy time! The tent and cushions look amazing. And homemade cloth diapers are something I haven't even thought about tackling yet. I love that your holiday was so homemade and genuine. <3

Out in Them Sticks said...

Beautiful work, Darlene! And your meal looks mighty tasty. We spent ours with in-laws so my meal was an after-thought. I made myself a lasagna and had that for about 5 days straight!

Natural Violet said...

Thanks so much everyone!

Alice said...

how tall would you say the teepee is? I'm looking for a shorter one for my one year old and all the patterns i can find the poles are 6ft long x

Natural Violet said...

Hello! The poles are 5 ft long and the height of the teepee through the center is about 40 inches so it may work. My 11 month old goes into it also and has fun.

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...