Sunday, April 12, 2009

Making bread - cottage loaves



I really like bread and basically any other carbohydrate. I am a huge pasta fan also which happens to be what we are having for dinner tonight. Over the weekend I made a few cottage loaves. The recipe for the cottage loaf is really simple. I used organic flour and added ground flax. I also added a little wheat gluten since I didn't have any bread flour. I made two small loaves from the recipe. They exploded in the oven because I didn't make the slits big enough, but other than that they turned out great.

Cottage loaf with flax

6 cups organic unbleached white flour
1 tablespoon wheat gluten
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons ground flax
1/4 ounce envelope dried yeast
1 3/4 cups warm water

Add the yeast to the warm water and wait for a few bubbles to appear. Add the salt, ground flax, flour and wheat gluten to a bowl. Make a well in the center and add in the water and yeast. Mix to form a dough. Knead the dough for 10 to 15 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.

Let the dough rise in a warm place for an hour or two until it doubles in size. I usually spread a little olive oil on the top of the dough and cover it with a cotton cloth. After the first rise, knead the dough for a few minutes and then shape it into one or two round loaves. Place the loaves on bakers peel with a bit of cornmeal on the bottom so it won't stick. You can also place the loaves on a baking sheet with a bit of cornmeal. Cover with a cotton cloth and let the loaves rise for about a half an hour.

Turn on the oven to 425 F and put the loaves on a baking stone from the peel or place the baking sheet with the loaves in the oven. Bake for 30 -40 minutes or until the loaves are golden and have reached an internal temperature of at least 200 F. The bread works great for french toast also.

No comments:

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...