Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I love baby carriers

I have a little bit of an obsession with baby carriers. I am fascinated by all the different types and I have tried a variety of carriers over the past 11 months. I also love the history associated with baby wearing. I think it is really interesting that we are still using carriers that are similar to ones used by mamas a long time ago. Very fascinating.


I have used and also made a variety of carriers. My favorite is probably the wrap style carrier like the Moby wrap. It is such a simple design, but so versatile. It is basically a long piece of fabric that you can wrap many different ways and you can comfortably hold your baby for a few hours. I got a Moby wrap at my baby shower, but I also found instructions for making one at Jan Andrea at home on the web. I made a few slings that are great for quick trips where I am not holding Jonas for too long. I used patterns at Jan Andrea at home on the web for the ring slings. I made a single layer sling out of dyed red hemp when Jonas was only a few months old. I gave that one to a friend down the street so of course I had to make another one. I made a double layer sling out of dyed aqua and avocado hemp. I also made fitted pocket sling using McCall's m5578 pattern. I made it out of stretch twill and it was the quickest carrier I have made to date. It also works great for carrying around a kitten.


The prettiest carriers are the mei tai pouches. I love the shape of the carriers. They are the perfect canvas for beautiful fabric. I made a hot pink mei tai out of bottom weight fabric. I used the pattern at Jan Andrea at home on the web again and extended the top to make a hood. I passed the hot pink number on to my lovely sister and her beautiful daughter Madilyn. I just made another mei tai using McCall's m5578 again, but added wide knit straps made of hemp. It is a cross between a wrap and mei tai and works pretty well.


The "little guy" is getting a bit too big for the Moby wrap. So I did a bit of research on back pack style carriers and bought a Patapum toddler carrier. The reviews are great and it goes up to 60 lbs. Yikes... I haven't received the carrier yet so I will have to keep you posted. The color is khaki so I will need to spruce it up a bit color-wise. Maybe some quilted strap pads for him to chew on?

No comments:

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...