Friday, April 3, 2009

Lemon Facial Cleanser & Toner



Making your own herbal skin care products is surprisingly easy and very economical. It is such a nice treat for yourself. I started making my own herbal products around the time I started Natural Violet. I love that I have control over the ingredients and I can make my products natural. Also, I don't have to deal with excess packing. I can wash containers and reuse which such a bonus. Two of my favorite recipes are a lemon facial cleanser and a toner. You can find a lot of the ingredients at a natural foods grocery store like Whole Foods. There are also great places online where you can get ingredients including Mountain Rose Herbal and Organic Creations. Well, on to the fun part. Here are the recipes.

Lemon Cleanser
This is a cold creme type cleanser that does not need water. I massage it on my face and remove it with a washcloth and toner.

1/4 cup almond oil
1 tablespoon emulsifying wax
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon borax
12 drops of lemon essential oil

In a double boiler, melt the wax and almond oil together. Warm the lemon juice and borax in another pan. Remove both from the heat and add together in a bowl using a whisk to blend. Add the lemon essential oil once the mixture cools a bit. Transfer to a container. I store the cleanser at room temperature, but I use it within a few weeks. If you are keeping it longer then it may need to be refrigerated.

Lemon Toner

1/4 cup distilled water
1/4 cup witch hazel
1/4 cup lemon juice

Combine all the ingredients and store in your favorite container. Shake to mix before each use.

4 comments:

Kinnu said...

nice .. The receipe of lemon leanser looks simple enough to be made at home .I will try it out.

Natural Violet said...

Thanks!!

Rachel Kazumi said...

I definitely try these affordable homemade tips, these tips are really effective for all type of skin.

zmingoldriver said...

Thanks for the recipe! Is this effective at removing makeup?

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...