Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pink knitted headband



Yay! I am finally getting a chance to post a knitting pattern. The first project is a knitted headband. I am a big fan of headbands and if I didn't think they were essential prior to having my little one, I definitely think they are now. I find taking a shower these days is quite the luxury, so headbands are definitely a bonus. I made a few simple knitted headbands by knitting a ribbed tube. However, I wanted something a bit cuter and thought short rows for the top. Here is what I came up with after a few tries. I really like the shape of the headband and how it is wider at the top and fits nicely around the back. The pattern is quick and fairly easy to make. The only part that is a little tricky is the short rows, but not too bad with a little practice. Hope you enjoy the pattern and if you don't get a chance to make one, then I will be selling these through my business soon. Happy knitting!

Pink knitted headband

size: headband is very stretchy. It is 16 in. unstretched but will stretch to about 22 in., so should fit a variety of sizes.

materials: about 50 yards of cotton worsted weight yarn.

gauge: 4.5 sts = 1 in.

needle: US size 6 - 16 in. circular needle or size to get gauge

notes: w&t - Slip the next stitch purlwise with the yarn in front. Turn work and wrap yarn around to the back of the stitch. Slip the stitch purlwise with the yarn in front. I just found a great blog that explains wrap and turn very well with photos, so check out The Knitting Friend if you need more help. Very cool info about how to make the w&t disappear. I will have to try that next time.

Main Body
Cast on 80 sts and join in the round being careful not to twist stitches. Place a marker for the begining of the round.
Knit 6 rounds in knit two, purl two rib.

Begin Short Rows
Knit 20 sts in knit two, purl two rib. Knit 24 sts, w&t.
Purl 8 sts, w&t.
Knit 11 sts, w&t.
Purl 14 sts, w&t.
Knit 17 sts, w&t.
Purl 20 sts, w&t.
Knit 23 sts, w&t.
Purl 26 sts, w&t.
Knit 29 sts, w&t.
Purl 32 sts, w&t.
Knit 35 sts, w&t.
Purl 38 sts, w&t.
Knit 39 sts. Knit two, purl two to the end of the round.

Knit 5 rounds in knit two, purl two rib.
Bind off the stitches loosely and weave in the threads.


No comments:

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...