Thursday, October 15, 2009

Not so lardy cake


I made this sweet bread a few years ago and decided to make it again. It is similar to a raisin bread. It was really easy to make vegan by replacing the "lard" with Earth Balance shortening. I think last time I made it I used Earth Balance margarine and dubbed it the "Margy Cake" so now it is the "Shorty Cake". The recipe is from Bread - the breads of the world and how to bake them at home by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter. The description in the book says it is a special rich fruit bread that was made in England for celebrating the harvest. Happy harvest!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm really enjoying reading your vegan recipes and posts - thanks for the link to the cookbook! I'm vegetarian myself currently, but even after 6 years of that, I haven't quite been able to summon the discipline to go full-vegan. I admire your ability to do it. :)

Natural Violet said...

Thanks Erin!

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...