Sunday, October 25, 2009

Toddler and baby shoes


I am still making shoes for the little guy. He started walking about a month ago and I find the soft sole shoes are great for toddling around. I use them outside also and though they don't last as long as hard soled shoes, they are pretty durable. I made two sizes for the pattern including 6-12 months and 12-18 months. The shoes are pretty forgiving with respect to size and allow for lots of wiggle room. The pattern is pretty simple and based on the slipper style shoes you see in the stores. I also made the sole so there is no left or right shoe. I find it a lot easier to put on a wiggly toddler. I made the following shoes out of denim material I had left over from his recycled jeans. I used scraps of black vinyl to line the bottoms so his feet stay dry. The pattern is in three pdf files that you can download below.

Toddler and baby shoes

Here is the shoe pattern in page1, page2 and page3. Below are the sewing instructions.

Note: A quarter inch seam allowance has been added to the pattern. You can use more if you want the shoes to be a bit smaller.

1. Cut out the pattern pieces. You will need two of each for the inside and outside fabric.



2. Zig-zag all the pieces if you are using material that frays.

3. Sew the front inside and outside fabric pieces together on the shorter curved side. Turn and top stitch.

4. Sew the back inside and outside fabric pieces together along the top edge. Turn and top stitch along the top and about a half an inch down from the top to form a casing.



5. Grab the shoe bottom and pin on the front and back of the shoe. Sew together and turn right side out. You are almost done.

6. Cut a piece of quarter inch elastic and thread it through the casing. Stitch the elastic together and tack it to the shoe front. All done!




5 comments:

MaryGoRound said...

Thanks so much! I've been looking for a larger size, and your fabric is so cool! Gonna try this tonight!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this pattern!! I've been trying to figure it out and this will help so much. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

These are so great! Your pattern is awesome, and thank you so much for posting from 6-18 months. Those little feet grow fast!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I am going to make a little
woolie pair for my little cover kicking off sweetie to wear at night.

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, I've got to say I LOVE this pattern!!! I've been using it for years & years. I've adapted it for smaller and larger sizes. I must have made close to a hundred pairs now for friends and family =)

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...