Friday, January 22, 2010

Spinach quinoa waffles


The little guy loves waffles. He generally is not too picky about food. I have noticed that since he turned 18 months that he goes in spurts with eating. It is not that he has any particular thing that he dislikes. It is more that at times he is too busy playing and exploring to want to sit and eat. He then makes it up at the next meal and eats everything in sight. I am glad that he still loves to eat a lot of veggies including his favorite which is any type of greens. I decided to make him waffles with two things that I know he really likes including spinach and quinoa. I have some cubes available in the freezer so it made it really simple to add them to the waffle mix. I had to adjust the liquid level a bit, but they turned out great. He ate them readily with the Creamy Cashew Dip from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton. I actually made the dip with almond butter instead of cashew butter. He now asks for "Almo" with his waffles so he likes it a lot.

By the way, I love all of Dreena Burtons cookbooks. She has a lot of kid friendly recipes. She also has a great section on food introduction for infants in her book Vive Le Vegan. I used the introduction schedule and Jonas did great with everything. It has been a lot of fun to cross every stage and add different food items. The book is full of lots of great ideas for feeding a vegan baby and toddler and it has been a great resource. I also like the book from Cathe Olson called Simply Natural Baby Food. I have made a lot of recipes from the book and I love that a lot are low salt and sugar. The book is not vegan, but it easy to adjust most of the recipes. One of his favorites of course is the whole grain waffles with lots of molasses.

Here is the recipe for the Spinach quinoa waffles. I have to say they make a really yummy savory waffle.

Spinach quinoa waffles

1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup rice or soy milk
1/2 cup pureed cooked quinoa
1 cup pureed cooked spinach
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon ground flax
1/2 cup soy yogurt

Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl. Add all the liquid ingredients together in another bowl. The ground flax can be added to the liquid ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. The batter should be fairly thick, but still be able to pour. If it is too thick then add more rice or soy milk. If it is too thin then add more flour. Heat up your waffle iron and start cooking.

No comments:

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...