Monday, February 15, 2010

Teeny pants - more recycled t-shirt pants




I have gone through a few iterations of the "Teeny pants". That is my new name for the recycled t-shirt pants. I am sure it is not extremely original, but it is cute and fits the pants. So I have made the Teeny pants with both an upward and a downward curving gusset or a smiley and frowny face. Sorry, more cute terms. I have also worked on giving room in the seat portion for movement and diapers. I originally tried making the waistband curved to allow more room, but found it difficult to sew in the the elastic casing with a curved seam. I switched to allowing more curve in the gusset and it works great. The only difficulty is I am not sure if the pattern will work for non-stretch fabric since the gusset portion is a little larger than the bottom back. Well, only one way to find out, so that might be my next project. I also worked on the cuffs and they fold great in the final pattern. I like having cuffs of course since he is growing out of his pants so fast in length it is amazing. So here is my latest and I think final version of the Teeny pants. I have also included pictures of the other pattern styles I have tried during the process.






5 comments:

Edgi said...

These are so cute! It's a neat twist on the usual ways that people recycle old t-shirts. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

I'm just finding this awesome pair of pants! :) Is there a link to a pattern? I can't find one. Thanks!!

Natural Violet said...

Hello! There is no link yet. I plan to offer the pattern one of these days. I spent so much time working on the pattern and it would be a shame if I didn't get it out there sometime soon. I am making the same pants for my daughter now and love the extra room for cloth diapers.

elowyn said...

Oooh, I love these! I just discovered your blog and lost about 3 hours obsessing over sewing projects, your clothes are all so cute, and I love that you use recycled materials. Not only green, but also old t-shirts are about the softest, comfiest fabric around.
I would LOVE a pattern for these pants, do you sell it?

Heather said...

I must know how to do that gusset! I've Googled like crazy to figure out the technique. Is there a special term for it?

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...