Sunday, February 21, 2010

Another cottage loaf


I made a cottage loaf this weekend. I used a third whole wheat and the rest white flour. I recently bought fresh yeast which is a really good deal cost wise if you bake a lot. I found the fresh cake yeast at the Whole Foods bakery. I used 0.75 ounces of fresh yeast instead of the freeze dried package. I mixed it with the liquids and let it sit a bit before I mixed everything else together. The bread turned out great. The only problem with the cake yeast is it is very perishable and needs to be used within a few weeks or less. I have seen a few estimates for shelf life online. It can also be frozen, but I haven't had good results so far. It is probably because I forget about the yeast and it stays in the freezer way too long. Anyway, it produced a really nice bread with and great texture.

No comments:

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...