Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Handmade Holiday

Happy Holidays!!

I decided this year I am going to make most of my Christmas presents. Funny really since this is the year I have the least amount of time for sewing since little pookie is here. No matter though and I am going to rise to the challenge. Yes I only have a few weeks but I tend to kick things in high gear when the deadlines are close. It always worked for me as PhD student and then researcher so I am confident it will work well also as  family designer and seamstress or that is the plan. It is interesting the comments I receive from others about my quest to sew almost everything for the family. I hear often that someone would like to make this or that but where would they find the time. I think most people have some time for creative endeavors but it is a matter of priorities. Maybe sewing or being creative is not high on your list and that is totally fine. However if it is one of those things you always wanted to do then find some time. Look online for a few fun tutorials and then unplug for a while. Well at least unplug from social media. If possible involve your children in the process. J is helping me make soft blocks for R. He is drawing pictures that I will scan and print on fabric for some of the blocks  He is also great at adding the filling. Yes, I sometimes have a mini sweat shop in my house but it is good for him. He learns the value of handmade items. He knows when we buy things that someone made that item and hopefully they did not make it in an actual sweat shop. Another good reason to sew your own clothes but I digress. So we will see how much I get done in the next few weeks. If you need any ideas then follow along with me on Pinterest. I am posting all of my ideas on the Handmade Christmas Board.

Happy Creating!!        


4 comments:

MrsThorsen said...

I agree with you about the priorities. This summer when I was working on a sculpture, I mused that the only difference between artists and non-artists is their priorities, not talent. Artists create art, period. Artisans create whatever it is THEY love, be it home-brewed beer or quilts or garments. As much as I love the IDEA of making my own clothes and the capability, the desire just isn't as strong as my desire to do other things. But you are absolutely right that if something is important, people will find the time to do it, no matter how busy they are.

Natural Violet said...

Very well stated. Lately, I have been a lot more successful with making clothes for the little ones than for myself. I still dream of making my entire wardrobe.

hungie gungie said...

I love checking in on you via your blog, Darlene! Love the little blocks you made ruby, I'm getting ellery a special doll this year, and I've been busy making lots of clothes for it. I'm also hoping to finish a quilt for g, I really agree about priorities. Making stuff will always be a priority in my house! Even if the laundry pile is to the ceiling, I don't feel satisfied until I've made something. :).

Natural Violet said...

I couldn't agree more Erin. So cool you are making a special doll for Ellery. She is going to love it. I love checking in on your blog also. You make the most fantastic clothes for the little ones!

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...