Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pocket recycled t-shirt diaper




 
Hemp fabric is still my favorite choice for making diapers, but I also love using thrift store t-shirts for making diapers. I posted a tutorial about a year ago on how to make t-shirt diapers and it gets the most visits on the blog so decided it was time to update. For a turned and stitched version of this diaper see my post on the red velvet recycled diaper. The following diaper was made entirely out of a t-shirt with the exception that I added a layer of synthetic micro fleece to line inside of the diaper. This is entirely optional and the whole diaper can be made from the t-shirt. The diaper style is a front opening pocket with a separate insert and the pattern is below. I love to work with patterns so with lots of revisions I came up this one. You can use any pattern though and there are lots of free ones available online. I started making pocket diapers a while back since I found like many others that they dry quickly and are very practical since you can add extra layers if needed. So on to the new tutorial.

Instructions for t-shirt diaper

Diaper pattern can be downloaded in three pdf files.
nvpockdiap1
nvpockdiap2
nvpockdiap3
The diaper can be made using a regular machine or serger. I used a regular machine and did a zig zag on the edges. It can also be turned and top stitched. The size of the diaper is medium to large and is a bit larger if you use a zig zag edge.

Materials: XL 100% cotton t-shirt and optional small piece of micro fleece for the liner. I also use hook and loop for the fasteners. You can opt to us no fasteners also and close it with a diaper pin the front. Elastic for the legs and back.

1. With the pattern cut out the diaper back and front along with the insert using the t-shirt. Cut off the neckline and cut two pieces eight inch long for the front pocket opening. Cut a front insert using the sleeves and half of the insert pattern (four layers). Optional only, but you can add an applique to the back using scrap t-shirt fabric. Cut out the micro fleece liner using the front and back pattern without the wings. This again is optional. You will also need elastic and hook and loop tape. I use 1.5 inch wide hook and loop and 3/8 inch elastic. The long loop piece is 8 inches and the smaller loop pieces are 1 inch. The hook pieces are 2 inches.



2. Sew the wings to the diaper outside. Sew the neckline facing to the front edge of the diaper. I use a three stitch zig zag. Sew the eight inch loop tape one inch down from the front edge.


3. Sew the wings to the diaper inside. Layer the diaper inside with the micro fleece fabric on top. If you decide not to use micro fleece then sew the wings to the diaper inside only. Sew the two inch hook tabs on on the wings. Sew the one inch laundry loop tabs near the hook tabs. Sew the other eight inch neckline facing to the front of the diaper inside.



4. Sew the elastic to the wrong side of the inside diaper piece at the leg openings and the back of the diaper. Use the guide on the pattern for placement of the elastic. I use a three stitch zig zag, but a regular zig zag will work also. Just make sure to pull the elastic very tightly as you sew.


5. Pin and Sew the inside and outside diaper fabric together with the rights sides facing outward. Zig zag around the entire diaper leaving the front pocket open for the insert. I use a three stitch zig zag, but regular is fine also. Sew the inside and outside diaper together along the elastic lines using a three stitch or regular zig zag. This creates a nice ruffle along the elastic on the outside of the diaper. You can also add a optional two inch piece of loop to the right front wing so the diaper wings can cross and give you wider size range.


6. Sew the four pieces of the long and short insert together and zig zag the edge. Place the short insert on top of the long insert in the desired location. I put it towards the front for my little guy. The insert will have four layers in the back and eight layers in the front. You can also add a layer or two of hemp fleece to increase the absorbency, but the cotton knit works pretty well also since you have ten layers total in the front wet zone. Stuff the insert in the diaper, add a cover and ready for use.




7 comments:

lou said...

these are adorable!! great job.

Natural Violet said...

Thanks!!

fraizerbaz said...

Very cute!

I'm your new Follow Me Friday follower ...

Happy Friday!
http://fraizerbaz.blogspot.com/

Judy said...

Those are so cute. I just started cloth diapering my youngest a few months ago and have truly enjoyed it. I've only tried pre-folds (some of which I made) and have been wanting to make some fitted diapers...these look perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Natural Violet said...

Hi Judy - Thanks so much for stopping by and have fun making the fitted diapers.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this! I just bought a sewing machine and I think this will be my first project since I would only have to buy elastic.

Do you use regular thread or polyester thread?

Natural Violet said...

Hi Kelly - I use polyester thread. I buy it in the big cones and put it in a small jar instead of on the spool. Hope that helps! Darlene

Natural Soap Making and Himalayan Salt Soaps

I have been making natural soaps and shampoo bars for a few years now. I started making soaps for the local Halo Salt Spa back in 2015. I...